Monday, June 7, 2010

Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be - Abraham Lincoln

So today was an eyeopener... Let's not get too tied down with details, but it was bad. Not just your usual oh she'll get over it sooner than you know type bad but the real unforgiving
someonewasatotalbiotchandyoudliketokicktheminthenardsbecausetheymadeyoucryandthatisjustnooootcool kinda bad. But again, let's not get too ties down with details.

The point is: it was an eye opener. You'd think that I would have cowered down and felt the impending defeat but instead I took it with a grin and started to figure out solutions...

Which leads us to the topic today::


hap·pi·ness [hap-ee-nis] –noun

1. the quality or state of being happy.

2. good fortune; pleasure; contentment; joy.


My personal definition used to be quite different than what it is now.

Even as recently as a year and a half ago, my list of happy things would have consisted of:

*a rocking pair of black heels

*many cocktails, bonus happy points if they were bought for me

*an unexpected day off of work

*going home from the bar with a super cute boy

*sleeping in uninterrupted until 1 pm

*a perfect pair of jeans that were tight on the ass but flared at the leg

*road trips to see a good concert


Happiness now? Just as simple, yet not nearly as shallow.

*waking up before the husband so I can suprise him with breakfast

*going to lake powell with the WHOLE family and burying my feet in the sand

*talking Mr Responsible into ditching work for a day so we can stay home, alone together, in our jammies and just be

*piling into moms' big king bed for a rare family nap

*cooking a warm delicious dinner that everyone will eat- extra points if the parents come out for dinner

*a cold glass of fresca with my feet on the hubby's lap, discussing the day just finished

*being exactly where I am right now and not wanting to be anywhere else

Even the worst days are still happier than my old life's good days.

They, meaning my family, my husband, are my happy.
It doesn't matter what happens, it is better with them than perceived bliss without them.

Before I had a family, a husband, my happiness was based on my surroundings, my possessions, my situations.

If this happens, I will be happy.

If I get this, I will be so happy.

Now happy just IS.

I grew up with so much happiness, and I want my husband and future children to know nothing but.
I want them to know that even if we had no money, no beautiful home, if the world was to literally crumble around us that all we need is each other to be happy.

And I think my thought of happiness is really growing, I really, really do.

What is your happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment